10.23.2012

fun. run.

A couple years ago, a friend asked me what I did for fun. I was stumped. I think I said something about watching movies and trying to keep in touch with friends...maybe working out? I'm not positive, but I do know that I thought about that question for quite some time and realized I really couldn't come up with anything actually fun that I did myself. Like hobbies. I literally remember thinking it would be fun to have clean counters and dinner made before the screaming started. Or maybe it would be fun to get a workout in before the baby needed to be fed. I had started going to book club but rarely was able to finish the book before the next meeting.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 and while life was actually very crazy/fun with three little ones, I now realize that I was just in survival mode and that is was totally acceptable to think a freshly swept floor was a reason to celebrate. And I will tell you that it was worth every second of it...and it still is. Really, I'm not complaining. Motherhood is a sacrifice, but it is such an honor and satisfying in so many ways. But it is exhausting and depletes time and energy, leaving not much left for fun for mom . I'm still there, but like I said, I am slowly emerging from this fog and I'm starting to feel glimpses of  "fun for Amy" come back. Like running.

A year ago, this week, I bought a treadmill on Cragslist. I started the Couch to 5K program and got through the horrible, "I think I'm going to die" feelings of starting out. I had attempted to run before but had convinced myself that I couldn't do it. I don't feel like I'm a natural athlete. I mean, really, my major "sport" growing up was horseback riding :). This time, however, I kept going and didn't quit. And my dear friend, Amy convinced me to run a 10 K with her in the spring and then Bloomsday (12 K) a few weeks after that. Last week, we ran another 10 K.

And now, a year later...totally hooked. I am not fast and I'm not extreme by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I'm not sure of the difference between jogging and running, but I'm choosing to use "run"...because I like the sound of it. But I now look forward to my runs! Really. It is my time to think and process...and push my body just a little bit. When the weather is nice, I get my workout in and my dose of vitamin D, not to mention the pleasure of being outside in Creation.  

Now if someone were to ask me what I do for fun, I would be able to give a few more examples...like running AND being able to finish an entire book in one month. We're making progress.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

You need to teach me how to love running. I've tried a million times, failed, and have determined it's pretty much a lost cause. I'd go as far as to say that I loathe it (dramatic much?).

I am, however, happy that you found something that you enjoy and that has become a much-needed outlet for you. Bravo! :)

Amy Hook said...

I just love this. All of it! Hurrah for the new running, book reading YOU!! I also love that I get to benefit from it. :)

About Me

My Photo
*WIFE* to a great man *MAMA* to Parker, Griffin & Hollyn *BLESSED* to be living out this dream & always... longing to be *LOVELY*

Our Family

Our Family

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved