2.07.2008

griffin-our fresh perspective

Griffin Jacob
2.7.07
7 lbs 1 oz
20.75 "

How can it be a year already? Seems like just yesterday I was sharing his birth story on here...

Let me just start by saying Griffin is nothing like I expected him to be at age one! I've said before that Griffin barely moved when I was pregnant. I was pretty sure our baby was going to be a really quiet, gentle-spirited little one..kind of like how I was as a little girl. Hah! God is funny!

Here is a list of some of the things Griffin is definitely NOT:

quiet
shy
introverted
passive
meek
slow
somber
boring
fearful

Oh no...our Griffin is a firecracker. Never a dull moment, he is always moving, always jabbering, telling us exactly what should be done and when. He is sure a spirited little guy and, my goodness, he has a set up pipes! That guy can yell...and he does, especially when his brother steals a toy. One of his favorite things to do lately is craw as fast as he can into the bedroom to capture Parker's blankies. What a stinker!

But he has captured my heart in a way I thought was unimaginable. Before I laid eyes on him, I really wasn't sure I could love another like I love Parker. But of course, I was so wrong. Griffin is pure sweetness and I knew it right on the day he was born. Those bright blue eyes, deep dimples, and ever-ready grin are irresistible. And he knows it.

A list of things Griffin actually is:

adorable...so easy to love
passionate
spirited
social
active
independent
playful
FUNNY--total comedian
quick
conversationalist--he's a yapper
fearless
smart
mama's boy (doubly smart)

***************************************
In the months leading up to Griffin's birth, I really was at a loss as for how to pray for our new baby in a specific way. I think I was so fearful of not being able to match my love for Parker that I couldn't even think straight. But in my last few weeks of pregnancy, I ended up praying a very simple prayer repeatedly...

"Dear God, I ask that this baby brings us a fresh perspective."

Isn't that an odd way to pray for a new baby? But I just felt it....didn't even think about it much. Now it makes perfect sense.

Griffin's birthday was so important for me to celebrate for many, many reasons. Of course, a first birthday is always a joyous occasion and Griffin is such a gift. He has changed our lives for the better and made our lives more full. He's taught us new ways to love and changed our perspective. He's been used to humble and stretch us, make us wiser and hopefully better parents.

But the year since Griffin's birth has not felt easy by any means. In fact, it has probably been one of the hardest years for me personally. The things that were hard were not necessarily events that happened, but things that God was working out in my heart. I really feel like Griffin was used to usher in this process. Even though it was a very hard year in many ways, I truly feel like it has probably been the best year of my life. God has been refining me and has brought about growth and maturity that I didn't even know I needed.

So today is both a celebration of Griffin's beautiful first year and also a celebration of a year full of refinement, joy...and a fresh perspective. Thank you, God, for our Griffin.

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow, it does seem like he was just born.

Happy Birthday to your sweet boy!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh wow! A year, really?! It has definitely been an "adventerous" year, hasn't it? I am so honored that I was able to walk this journey with you and I continually thank God that He brought you (and Joel and Parker and Griffin) into our lives. Happy belated birthday to dear, sweet, mischevious Griffin! Much love to you guys!

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a sweet birthday reflection post! He is a cutie.

Sarah said...

I love this post of reflections! Isn't it so surprising when our little children teach us so much and are used in such huge ways by the Lord to refine us and grow us up. I really think that parents experience of depth in life that can't be understood until you're in it. Griffin is such a beautiful, sweet little man. I'm so glad I was able to meet him!
Sarah

jenny said...

Did you forget: likes to eat anything and everything? :)

I remember feeling the same way before I had my second baby boy. Amazing how God stretches our hearts just a bit more to love the next baby, and then the next, and then the next. So beware! ;)

Aleah said...

It's always neat looking back on prayers answered. Especially through children and what they teach US!

Griffin sounds pretty darn similar to how Hayden was! Do you remember how Hayden was?

Love, Aleah

Amy said...

oh happy birthday griffin!

Anonymous said...

Love that picture!. Happy B-day Griffin
Love you lots

-Auntie Vicky

Liz Ferguson said...

I LOVE what you prayed before Griffin was born! It's so amazing how each child brings something different into your life.

Happy late b-day to your beautiful little man! :)

About Me

My Photo
*WIFE* to a great man *MAMA* to Parker, Griffin & Hollyn *BLESSED* to be living out this dream & always... longing to be *LOVELY*

Our Family

Our Family

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved