3.09.2007

about a month ago...


I've been thinking about what an amazing experience I had giving birth to Griffin. It feels wrong to say that I "gave birth" to him because, in reality, I didn't really do much! Throughout my pregnancy, I was quite nervous about having the c-section, even though I'd already experienced one before. With Parker, the procedure was so rushed and I was so exhausted and emotional. It was such a different kind of experience this time. I really felt taken care of and protected by the prayers of so many people. Thank you! Not only was I comfortable and felt no pain, I totally enjoyed myself...as you can see from the slide show above.

Now, I think that the anesthesia sort of caused me to forget the order of some of the events, but I have a general idea. And this time, I remember the important parts! So here is a total mish mosh account of our experience...it all sort of runs together!

We checked into the hospital at 5:30 am and the nurses were waiting for me...I was the only one there and they knew my name! Everything was so calm and cheery--I immediately felt more relaxed. We spent the next two hours with the same nurse, who prepped me for surgery. She did all sorts of things to me including IV's, fetal monitoring, blood pressure...fun stuff. During those two hours, the nurse explained very calmly what would happen during the day and let me ask any questions. The atmosphere was so laid-back and we were joking and laughing with everyone. I only got nervous when I would look at the clock and realize how much time we had left before we met our baby. Also during those two hours, everyone that was going to be in the operating room came in and introduced themselves and explained what role they would have and answered our questions. I think there were about 12 of them. I feel like God handpicked every single one of them! They all seemed so experienced and calm, but also treated this as a very exciting and personal event...the birth of our baby and not just a surgery!

A little before 7:30, they had me walk to the operating room where they inserted the spinal and the catheter and made sure everything was set to go. Okay, so here is where it gets sort of fuzzy because I was completely numb from the rib cage down and also draped from that point, so I really have no idea what happened next. Joel and I just chatted with the anesthesiologist and his assistants. I love them! Joel would update me every now and then about what the surgeons were doing. I literally didn't know when they had started cutting...how funny! And then he came out and Joel was able to announce that we had a boy! That was the most exciting part of all. I got this smile on my face that just wouldn't go away.

The nurses were all amazed at how big he was since I carried the baby sort of small. I asked over and over how big he was, but they hadn't weighed him yet. I was really hoping that he was the same size as Parker--and he was! Everyone was so happy and told me what a good job I had done! What? I hadn't done a thing, but I took it anyway:) After they cleaned him up a bit, I was able to hold Griffin and get a good look. Perfection! At first, we thought he looked like Parker, but then I soon realized that I had given birth to a little replica of my husband!

Oh....and this is the point that it gets really fuzzy because they gave me this little wonder drug that made me completely relax and not care much about anything. Joel went with Griffin to the nursery where he was weighed and measured and given his first bath. I'm so glad they bathed him...that vernix stuff is so gross. I stayed in the operating room and they put my uterus back inside me and made sure all my organs were back in place:) They stitched me up and cleaned me up and there I was...back to being a non-pregnant me and sort of blob-like all of the sudden. But I totally didn't care!

I was taken back to recovery and was a happy camper until I started to get impatient because Joel hadn't brought my baby back to me yet! I won't go into the details, but when Joel did bring Griffin to me, he impressed us all by mastering the skill of eating within about 30 seconds. My boys all seem to have great skills in this area.

The rest of the day really was a blur, but I do know that I felt no pain and I was so happy...and tired. I know that I embarrassed myself again by falling asleep in the middle of sentences. I guess it goes with the territory. Anyway, all that to say, I had the best birth experience thanks to the many prayers and the amazing team that made me feel like the most important mama on the planet and that this event was exciting, even to them! While I don't want to be pregnant again anytime soon, this experience totally convinced me that I really want to give birth at least one more time.

So, here we are, over a month later and I'm just now posting pictures about this! I just took a few pictures of Griffin to show how he has grown. He really isn't always on that hippo mat! I guess that it is just when I'm reminded to take a picture. I took Griffin in the other day to have him weighed...because I'm sort of freaky like that and I like to know details! At birth, Griffin was 7 lbs 1 oz and now he is 9 lbs 4 oz at one month. Needless to say, he has continued to be a good eater:)

So sorry this was soooo long...but how can you condense a birth story?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy~
I enjoyed reading every word :) I can feel the happiness and joy from it. I'm so happy for the four of you!
I really do wish I still lived in Spokane so I could see your boys growing in person, but I'm so thankful to have this connection to still enjoy!
Thanks for sharing... and your mini-Joel is adorable :)
~Julie

Kristen said...

Amy,
Thank you for sharing! I can't wait till I get and am able to hold your little man myself. I miss you all and continue praying for you.
Love you, Kristen

Kati said...

Thank you for sharing your story! I love to hear the "good" labor and delivery tales, especially since we'll be doing this ourselves here in a few months! Hopefully things will go as well for us and they did for you guys!

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

Hi! I am also on the family friendly blog roll, and just happened to come to your site! I LOVE IT! Your experience with your second c-section was the same as mine the second time around. It was the BEST experience, and I often joke that I could do that every week! Children are a gift from GOD, and I look forward to watching your children grow through the blog...come and visit me!
http://mysweetlittlefamily.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, you have just precious little boys!! I saw your comment on my friend Jennisa's blog...I also have two little boys...looks like about the same distance apart as your two? I enjoyed reading your birth story. My first, Kieran, was a natural birth and Cullen was a C-Section 7 months ago. I actually much preferred the C-Section! Anyway, what cutie pies you have! You will really enjoy your two boys as they grow to interact, as mine are now. It's great!

Aleah said...

Thanks for the pictures and story. : )
I love hearing birth stories because most every one is different!

I'm glad this one was such a GOOD and almost painless experience!

Love, Aleah

Andi Mae said...

I loved reading Griffin's birth story- so different from Parker's birth! I am so glad that you had such a happy, fun experience (aside from getting sick!). Your second birth experience makes much less nervous about the possiblity of having a second c-section!

P.S. And I think that it is totally right for you to say that you "gave birth" b/c you did!

About Me

My Photo
*WIFE* to a great man *MAMA* to Parker, Griffin & Hollyn *BLESSED* to be living out this dream & always... longing to be *LOVELY*

Our Family

Our Family

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved