6.16.2006

Relationships

Since we've been moving every so often, I feel like I've been in the phase of developing new friendships lately. Some people may think that it is exciting to start a new life but I find it so difficult at times. Cultivating intimate friendships takes so much work for me that I often find myself avoiding it altogether. I know this can't be healthy! And...it really isn't what I want. I'd much rather have one or two very close friends than ten or more acquaintance type of friends. Oh... and it takes so much time to build enough trust to be able to laugh freely and speak candidly with another. However, I'm feeling inspired and encouraged by recent conversations with some of my closer friends. This town has a way of bringing so many people from my past back into my life. I've been having so much fun spending time with a close family friend, a friend from college, a friend from high school...I'm reminded of why making the effort to form these relationships is so worth it, however tedious the process may be.

I read an article in the April/May issue of Radiant that had some good reminders...

  • Live Simply ~ "Only when we give joyfully, without hesitation or thought of gain, can we truly know what love means. This type of love spills over into the way we conduct our lives. Journalist Heather Zydek believes the key to fostering sholeness in our relationships is in taking a more, natural, organic approach to life... making things with our hands, appreciating nature, reading books, having conversations without the TV on, playing board games with friends, having neighborhood barbecues, making a point to call up our loved ones on a regular basis and ask them how they are really doing."
  • Be Authentic ~ "There's nothing more attractive, fun or friendly than a woman who is willing to embrace her imperfections and be authentic about who she is. Such disarming confidence quells even the greatest of insecurities, and draws like a magnet others seeking honest relationship."
  • Focus on Christ ~ "Wholeness is experiencing Christ's love through a personal relationship with God and loving our neighbors as ourselves. There is freedom in loving people and leaving the results in God's hands."

Just a little picture to brighten your day:)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mimes, I know exactly what you mean. Finding friends that you feel absolutely comfortable with is so hard, but well worth the effort! I too would much rather have a couple of extra special close friends rather than a whole bunch of shallow relationships. Always know that you have a friend in me and I adore you sooooo much! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, Amy. That is why I get so nervous about moving away (if and when we do). I have such great friends here and its so hard to start over! At least if we ever move over there I have you! :)

Anonymous said...

Amy...
I know exactly what you mean! It was SO hard for me to leave Bellingham...not because of the city, but because of my two dear friends that I had to say goodbye to. I'm encouraged though because I have found that even though I can't just run over to their houses and hang out or go for a run with them...I can have great phone conversations with them! I have found that our friendships are growing more. Maybe it's because I'm more purposeful when we talk? Anyway...I know that I feel blessed that you and I are in the same town now... :) Take care!

Anonymous said...

I think it is important that you recognize wanting close relationships and that they cannot be forced to grow like with fertilizer or a growth hormone. We lived in Bellingham and had only one couple we would really get together with (and not that often). It took time and persistence and even being the one to initiate get togethers to finally create relationships with people I can call intimate friends. Having a homegroup has really changed our relationships as well (its fun too!). Good luck, you are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Very sweet picture!!

Blomgrens said...

Well, I'm just catching up on your past and... I love how you express yourself! It's so true, relationships are exhausting and I often want to just not try anymore, especially with moving but - then when things are fun or I feel that freedom of "speaking candidly" and "laugh freely" )and I LOVE doing that) then I'm reminded how much I need community, people and relationships (real ones) in my life!

About Me

My Photo
*WIFE* to a great man *MAMA* to Parker, Griffin & Hollyn *BLESSED* to be living out this dream & always... longing to be *LOVELY*

Our Family

Our Family

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved