5.25.2009

imminent domain

I've written before about how much I love our house...how much work we've put into it...how it feels perfect for our family right now. But we had the rug pulled out from under us last Friday and now we're staring and these walls and wondering what our future will look like...

The purchasing director from Spokane School District came for a drop in visit on Friday evening to inform us that there are plans to demolish our home and the two next to us to make room for staff parking lots. Parking lots. Legally, they have every right to purchase our home for market value and we don't really have a say in the matter. They actually have the right to condemn the property, however she says that this is something they try to avoid.

We have so many questions and hardly any answers. We have no idea this was even a possibility. Never crossed our mind. We're oblivious to the time-line...to how the negotiations work. All we know is that we've been reminded that this place really never belonged to us anyway. I think I may have been holding on too tight. Maybe to attached to something that is just a building?

We're sad. I feel a bit violated to be honest, even though I know these things are legal. Even though we weren't likely going to stay in this house forever, I had hoped that someone else could enjoy this home like we have and that our renovations would pay off for resale. It will be so sad to drive by here and see a parking lot instead of our first house...the place we started our family.

But I know that we will be taken care of...that God will clear my head and continue to give peace. I trust that God knows my concerns and that we will continue to be blessed beyond what we can imagine. I know how God works...He does that sort of thing.

10 comments:

Julie said...

I am so sorry. That stinks. I pray that they will find a different way for the faculty to park their cars... you know maybe on the street.... vs. demolishing three families homes.
Julie

The Boggs Family said...

We are so sorry to hear this!! Ahh Amy, I can totally imagine the emotional rollercoaster you are on regarding this. You have good perspective too though, and God will totally make beauty from ashes - literally. There is another home that will be a perfect fit for your family & who knows, the house hunting process could actually be quite fun?? :) And, it's you who will make it feel like your home & just think; even though this is the home you started out together in & began your family in, this next home will be one that your kids will likely remember when they look back on their childhood & it will be the one they think of as the home they grew up in. ;) And if you have another baby... that little one will start the tradition of "growing your family" in a new home too. :) Just wanted you to know we are thinking of you much & praying for you guys... love you all.

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Holy moly! Are you kidding me?!?! I am so sorry Amy! I'm sure that was quite a blow and I'm awed by your present attitude. Know that I'll be praying for you during this time, especially wisdom as you and Joel decide what to do.

Love you lots!
Me

Amy Hook said...

Jonathan and I keep thinking about you guys and your home -we can't imagine all the emotions you guys must be feeling. We're praying for you guys! Hope to see you Wednesday:)!

Amy said...

amy! thats so terrible!!! im so sorry :( you have an adorable home! but perhaps its you that makes it adorable and your whole family. oh what a hard deal for you guys right now!

Dan said...

This stinks!

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got till it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

Aleah said...

This is just CRAZY, to think that they can actually do that!

I can't believe it!

If God wants your family there it'll all work out. : )

Praying for you guys!

Keep us updated....

Jen said...

Amy...
Your family is in my prayers!
XOXO

jenny said...

Just checking in to see how you're doing this week. I've been praying for you, Amy.

See you tomorrow.

Sarah said...

Oh Amy! My heart breaks for you, as a woman I know how a home can be an extension of yourself. But like you, I have faith that God has good things in store! It may be in hindsight that you see the plan, but you will see it. I'll be praying for you as all this unfolds.
Love, Sarah

About Me

My Photo
*WIFE* to a great man *MAMA* to Parker, Griffin & Hollyn *BLESSED* to be living out this dream & always... longing to be *LOVELY*

Our Family

Our Family

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved