7.26.2007

theme songs...


I've been thinking so much about music lately. I think it may be because Amanda is doing a music series right now and I'm loving how she connects song lyrics to everyday life. It is so much fun!

I'm wondering, does everyone have theme songs for certain times of their life? Let me explain this...so when I was falling in love with my husband, I literally felt like I was in a movie because a soundtrack seemed like it was playing in my head all of the time. When I hear some of those songs, it brings me back to that time---and what could be better than that?!! And then certain songs bring me back to the time I was really, really longing to be a mama, but the timing wasn't right. I listened to this song all of the time because I dreamed of having my very own little boy sing it to me someday...isn't that funny? :) I have songs for absolutely everything. I'm sure everyone has songs that go with specific periods of time. Isn't it amazing how powerful it can be? What a gift...

So my husband sang me a beautiful, new song the other night. Oh, man...I love that! You see, Joel has an amazing, amazing voice. I am going to be really honest and say that it is what first attracted me to him and why I ended up stalking him! But yes, then I found that there was so much more underneath that beautiful voice. I recently told him that I am going to figure out a way to record him singing a song to me and put it on here....he didn't like that idea! I will at least post the lyrics of the new song at some point.

But the song that I love the most is the very first song he ever sang for me, Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton. I promise you though, he sounds better than Mr. Clapton. The song is over in my playlist if you are interested. When I hear that song I remember the exact spot on the floor I was sitting in when he started playing and singing...I remember how I felt...I remember what I was wearing...and how he sang it perfectly. I could tell he was a tad nervous about looking me straight in the eye when he sang certain lyrics. Magical. But now when he sings it to me it is even better because the lyrics mean more...and I assure you he can look at me straight in the eyes when he sings it to me.

So that is my theme song for when I was falling in love with my husband. I have so many more....like songs that remind me of Young Life camp...road trips with my family...Christmas...first year of marriage. Many of them are on my playlist. So now I want to know, what are your theme songs? Everybody has them and I really want to know!
Wonderful Tonight
by Eric Clapton

It's late in the evening; she's wondering what clothes to wear.
She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair.
And then she asks me, "Do I look all right?"
And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."

We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady that's walking around with me.
And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."

I feel wonderful because I see
The love light in your eyes.
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don't realize how much I love you.

It's time to go home now and I've got an aching head,
So I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed.
And then I tell her, as I turn out the light,
I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight.
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight."


I have to edit this to add a funny thing about this song...

So when Joel was playing this song out at the lake this year, I happened to be down at the tent getting something and could hear Joel starting. I literally started sprinting back up to the deck of the cabin. (That is MY SONG people!!!:)) The sprint, not a pretty picture in the first place, but then I pulled a muscle on my way up the stairs! Oh my! So this song has even more meaning now...

11 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh Amy! I need to send you a link to my sister Christine's MySpace page. Music is HER life and she describes it much like you did; there are songs that fit every moment of her life. =) Although, if she'd found a husband who sang to her, I think she would've felt like she'd died and gone to heaven. Caleb is heavily into sports, but is romantic in his own right too.

Joel sounds VERY romantic and I loved the story about your straining a muscle to hear him singing. Too sweet!

Tammy said...

Amy, we are so alike on this topic! For the entire summer of '00 my theme song was Dancing Queen by Abba, lol. And whevever my friends and I would go on a road trip in high school or college we would always pick a trip theme song, usually something kinda cheesy and very singable that would each give us our own part (hello late 90's boy bands). We felt it was the only acceptable time to actually listen to that kind of music. Even my cars have theme songs (and names)...Rosita's theme song is Wild Thing. :)

Joel does sound romantic! David would never sing to me unless he was goofing off...I've tried to get him to many a time to no avail!

Gina said...

i totally agree! music is so powerful like that. sometimes in intentionally listen to a CD over and over again in a certain season so that i can get that feeling of nostalgia later! ha ha. hey, by the way, i love your playlist - i putyour blog on to listen to music quite often. thanks! :) see you soon. we're coming to the states in just a week! okay, well, more like 10 days. but still :) ha ha. love, gina

Aleah said...

I know what you mean about music tying in with our whole lives...I've been thinking about that too more so since picking songs for the blog. So you want to know...

From my play list:
-Dreaming My Dreams - Driving on a country road in England 1995, Mom & Alan in front seats I was (already)thinking of Philip & our future
-Any of the frente! songs take me back to carefree Highschool days!
-Be Thou My Vision was the song we chose when lighting the unity candle
-Buena Vista Social Club, road trip with Kristen & summer BBQ's there after
-Jennifer Knapp, Reminds me of when we found out we were pregnant with Ethan. To me the Kansas album = that year

-Tracy Chapman, little Italian restuarant in England was the first time I heard her music. When I/we asked who was playing the owner got bug eyed that we didn't know who she was! (Since Tracy Chapmans from the US ya know)

There's just a few. I usually don't think of the memories until a certain song actually starts playing and then POOF I'm taken back!

I still think it's funny that you "stalked" Joel! But I guess I was more of the pursuer in the beginning also...

By the way thanks for the music last night while I was making dinner! (your playlist)

Anonymous said...

I love music :) Joel does a great job singing and playing Wonderful Tonight.

-Vicky

Anonymous said...

I totally agree Amy. Sure, there are songs that take me back to the days of high school and college, but then there are the SPECIFIC songs that take me to a SPECIFIC moment of time in my life. I've seriously considered making a c.d which I would call "The Soundtrack of my Life." Original, I know. Music is a very powerful thing. And like others said, I LOVE the music on your page. You have great taste in music :)

Carrie said...

I love the music on your play list. Often I'll save your blog for last when I'm cruising so I can let the music play long after I've stepped away from the computer.

Thanks for the camping advice. I appreciate your insight! By the way, I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed your idea from your post about your vacation at the cabin for a post I'm doing in the morning before we head to the lake.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

So much of this post makes me smile. I grew up on Eric Clapton and I love Wonderful Tonight!!

Okay, I will have to explain my story of me and Jeremy on my blog because he says I stalked him. So when I saw that on yours, I laughed! Wait til you hear our story!!

Love this post so much!!

Three Little Monkeys said...

Music is definetly a big part of my life and I totally agree that I can identify different parts of my life with my "theme songs." I love your playlist. Maybe "Megan" needs her own playlist. Too bad Chris is the one in charge of the blog.

Wow, I never knew Joel was such a great singer. He was holding out on us. :)

Miss you guys..

Kelly

Jen said...

Well, I was just talking to some people about my wedding and they asked about the song Nick and I first danced to. We first danced to Bebo Norman's song A Page is Turned. The funny thing is that it tells our story. Everytime I hear that song it brings back memories of Nick and I in Bellingham at Cornwall Park, frisbee golf, and hiking trips we took together. Wonderful, wonderful memories!

Andi Mae said...

I didn't comment on this post earlier b/c I have been trying to think of all the theme songs of my life! (By the way, I loved hearing about all of yours :)

I too have so many- maybe one of these days I will write my own post about them. But here are just a few...

* Anything by Big Mountain totally reminds me of Erik and I that first year after we met b/c he loved them, so I became a fan too :)

* "What a Wonderful World"- totally cheesy, but has been "our" song since right after we started dating when we got the random opportunity to dance to it together.
* "Home" by Fernando Ortega- it is what you girls walked out to during our wedding and out of all the songs we had in our wedding, it has always been the one that most reminds us of that day. I love it so much.
* "Every Move I Make"- my DTS
* "We are Family" - the girls' x-country team in high school

And so many more! Man, this post got me thinking...

About Me

My Photo
*WIFE* to a great man *MAMA* to Parker, Griffin & Hollyn *BLESSED* to be living out this dream & always... longing to be *LOVELY*

Our Family

Our Family

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved