8.22.2006

Tomato Soupa!


I am starting to feel the change of seasons and I'm getting excited for fall! Actually, it is still really hot here, but you know how you can feel things change when school starts for students and people start staying home more instead of vacationing? In past years, I haven't been quite ready for fall to come, but I think that living in a hotter climate has made me very ready for it! So, in honor of the end of August and the upcoming days of coziness to come, we have a very yummy tomato soup recipe from Everyday Food.

  • 4 Tbls. real butter
  • 2 Tbls. olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbls. tomato paste
  • 2 springs fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz each) reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cans (28 oz each) whole peeled tomatoes in juice (the recipe says you can use the kind with basil already added but I like to be in control of my own herbs and spices. I add my own basil, oregano, and garlic to tase)
What to do... 1. In a 5-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add oil and onion, season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and tomato paste, cook one minute

2. To saucepan, add thyme, broth, and tomatoes, breaking up tomatoes with your fingers. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, 30 minutes. (Remove thyme sprigs before blending.)


3. Working in several batches, puree half (or more!) of the soup in a conventional blender until smooth; return to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. (Make sure you hold a hand towel tightly over the blender to prevent the pressure from popping the top off when blending.) Serve immediately, or let cool to room temperature before dividing among airtight containers (leaving 1 inch of space at the top and freezing.)


notes: I believe this soup is best when you let the tomatoes rule; don't go overboard on the herbs and spices. This recipe makes a ton of soup so cutting the recipe in half would be fine for a small family.
Enjoy!

9 comments:

Aleah said...

Even though I don't like raw tomatos, I love tomato soup (especially on chilly days!) and I will try this recipe for sure!

Thanks Amy!

Anonymous said...

This looks great-I'll have to try it soon! Although it will be just for me, since Erik is not a fan of tomato soup...

Anonymous said...

Well, we are feeling similar about the change of seasons and we've talked about the comfort of soups and casseroles (stop the BBQ's for awhile!) but you know how the tomato soup went over with Dad last time! Still sounds good.

~Love Mom

Amy... said...

Sounds like some men in our family have a hard time with tomatoes:) Oh well...more for us!

Anonymous said...

It is not just the guys in our family...I am not a huge fan of tomatoes either. You three women and your healthy, organic foods...

Amy... said...

Kels,

guess what I have to say about that? Blah, blah, blah:)

Jen said...

Although I love raw tomatos, I can't really eat tomato soup (maybe it's because it grossed me out when they served it with hot lunch). Nick, however, loves it and would absolutly die if I made it for him! Thanks for the recipe! Amy...it was so good to see you at church! Sorry it was so rushed! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh man, you are making me so hungry! I'm thankful I'm past the sickness stage of this pregnancy, I could eat anything, especially a bowl of that yummy looking soup!

Linda said...

Well, I just wrote you a comment, and then realized that I was not registered with your site, oops!
Anyway, I hate Tomato soup! I was forced to eat it when I was a kid! I do love you mom's Tortilla soup though, I guess it just depends on how it is made.
I love the Fall too. Maybe it is because I am an October baby! I just love the colors, the nostalgic feeling it gives me, the pumpkin patches, the smell of crisp, cold air....
By the way, I could not believe how old Parker looked in the pictures on Andi's blog. My gosh! What a cutie!
Later, Linda (Andi's MOM :))

About Me

My Photo
*WIFE* to a great man *MAMA* to Parker, Griffin & Hollyn *BLESSED* to be living out this dream & always... longing to be *LOVELY*

Our Family

Our Family

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved