Chicken Enchilada Soup
My sister sent this recipe to me via email...her words this time ;) Try it!! So delicious!
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used the kind with sweet onion in it)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped yellow, green, or red bell pepper (I used red, which is my favorite pepper)
- 1 10-ounce can red enchilada sauce (I used mild)
- 1 10.75-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1½ cups milk (I used skim)
- 1 cup shredded Pepper jack cheese (4 ounces)
- 2 chicken breasts
*In addition to Kelsey's recipe, I added a can of green enchilada sauce, a can of chili beans, minced garlic, 2 Tbl lime juice, a can of evap skim milk in place of the milk...and cilantro at the end!
- In a 3½ to 5 quart slow cooker, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place 2 chicken breasts on top of mixture. In a large bowl, whisk together enchilada sauce and soup. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker.Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and cut or shred into bite sized pieces (I shredded it). Add chicken back into soup.
- Top with pepper jack cheese (I used Mexican Four Cheese - not as spicy!) and serve. Can also be topped with avocado, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips (definitely added chips!). Note: if the soup is too thick for you, just add a little more milk after it's all cooked.