9.28.2007

apples for today

When Parker was a baby and my husband was finishing up his last year in PA school, we spent time living with family members as Joel moved from one rotation to the next. To welcome a family member to live with you is one thing, but to welcome a family with a baby is something totally different! Many thanks to our family for the many gracious acts throughout those years.

Parker was four months old when we moved in with my grandparents. We have so many amazing memories together and those months will always hold a special place in my heart. One memory in particular...

My grandparents walked with me as I pushed Parker in the stroller to go find the apple tree we spotted earlier in the vacant lot. We were armed with grocery sacks to collect our find! They helped me collect tons and tons of free apples and we then loaded them up in the stroller in every way possible. We made applesauce together...and I think it was the very best I've ever tasted. And it was FREE, which always makes things taste great. Even better, though, are the memories we made together during the process.

Each year since then, I've made my own applesauce. I can't help it...I just can't. I feel like I could make some everyday if people would eat it. I love slicing and peeling, adding my special spices and making the house smell delicious. You know how scents take you back to a particular moment in your history? I'm always amazed with this. Every batch of applesauce I make brings me back to that day. I love that! I guess it is a good thing we live in apple country!

This year, my mom went up north with us to get our apples. It was such a perfect Fall morning....ice cream and scones to top it off:) I've made two pots of applesauce and now I'm in the process of making Sandy's Apple Butter. Yummy!

My Recipe

Two kinds of apples, enough to fill a large slow cooker...maybe 12 apples (I used Jonagold and Fuji this year)
1/4 cup - 1/2 cup raw sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg

Peel and slice apples and mix all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low overnight. Mash with a potato masher in the morning and there you go, breakfast for all. Freezes well. Oh, and it is good warm with vanilla ice cream. What isn't?



17 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh Amy, your talents never cease to amaze me. I am definitelt going to have try this recipe someday.

I totally agree on the power of scents. My wedding colors were peach and black; we had tons of peach colored candles (from Pier One) everywhere. They gave off the most amazing scent. Even to this day, whenver I pull those candles out, I'm taken back to our wedding day.

Melissa said...

I LOVE making my own applesauce! In the past I've always just made enough to eat up in a couple days, but tomorrow I'm going to pick enough apples to make LOTS of applesauce and can it in quart jars so we can enjoy it all year long! I also make Spicy Apple Jam and Merryfield Apple Muffins with my apples. Both recipes I posted over on my blog and are totally AWESOME!

Loved reading your story about the first time you made your applesauce! What a great memory to share with your kids someday about your grandparents!

Kati said...

There's nothing better than homemade applesauce!!! And in a slow cooker...I never thought of that...of course it would work!

Thanks for making my life easier!!! I can smell the apples already!

Amy said...

sounds SO good! thanks for sharing your recipes, i think i'll try 'em :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, we are planning on doing this too! Question, do you can yours or just make enough to last a little while?
I am learning how to can this fall and I am excited to do apple butter & apple sauce - and even apple pie filling!

Anonymous said...

Im gonna have to try this homemade applesauce out. my kids will love this. thanks
I emailed you.

Liz Ferguson said...

You are so fun! Making memories like that with your boys is precious. When they are older, everytime they smell cooked apples it will take them back in time to remember what a great mom you are.

This is one of the reasons why I love fall. My kids and I love to make applesauce. I love the slow cooker idea, haven't tried that before. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie said...

i love to read this blog! it makes me feel like i get to be with you instead of being so far away. youa re such a fun and wonderful woman! Much love to yoU!!

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Oh, I love applesauce over ice cream! Apple butter and peanut butter sandwiches...
I'm coming over to your house today! :)
What beautiful memories you shared here... we all have them - it sometimes just takes hindsight to set a value!

Kim said...

Amy... this sounds SUPER yummy! I am definitely going to have to try this!

jenny said...

Any water added to your applesauce before turning on the crockpot?

Amy... said...

No water necessary, Jen!

Julie said...

What a great recipe and a very sweet story.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. For some reason I thought making applesauce was a long process, but maybe not. I will have to try your recipe someday it sounds delicious. MMMMMM apples.

Sandy said...

Hi Amy! Thanks for the mention of the recipe :) I have a few apples left and am thinking of making "Apples in a Jar" -- have you ever done that?
Fun post!
Sandy

Unknown said...

Amy, I love this post. Okay, you are VERY domestic! I must admit that I am very envious of your weather and the fact that you can go pick apples. It's still in the 90's here in texas! :(

Look at you, making your own applesauce! You go!

Aleah said...

Love the memories here and also the recipe!

Thanks!

About Me

My Photo
*WIFE* to a great man *MAMA* to Parker, Griffin & Hollyn *BLESSED* to be living out this dream & always... longing to be *LOVELY*

Our Family

Our Family

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved