6.19.2007

prayer in a onesie...

Griffin recently grew out of his little onesies he wore since we brought him home. I think many moms have a bit of a hard time realizing their children are growing up fast--and I'm one of them! I went out and picked up a package of the Gerber brand, because I like the way they fit best. They all have some design on them, but I really didn't pay attention to what they said. When I got home and looked, I realized that Gerber custom-made a shirt, just for my Griffin. On the front, it says...

*Adorable*Brave*Strong*Courageous*

I chose some of my favorite definitions for these lovely attributes...

Adorable: Easy to love: lovable, sweet
This is the very best word to describe Griffin--adorable! I'm not just talking about appearance (which is a given for a mama), but this boy is just so easy to love and sweeter than pumpkin pie:)

Brave: Possessing or displaying courage; valiant.

Strong: (a) Having force of character, will, morality, or intelligence.
(b) Not easily captured or defeated: a strong flank; a strong defense.
(c) Having force of conviction or feeling; uncompromising: strong faith; a strong supporter.

Courageous, courage: The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution; bravery.

I would add a few more to the shirt, if I could. In addition to Godliness, I would add humility.

Humble: Lack of vanity or self-importance.

"What makes humility so desirable is the marvelous thing it does to us; it creates in us a capacity for the closest possible intimacy with God." - Monica Baldwin

We chose the name Griffin because it means strength and vigilance...and because we just like it:) From the moment we met, one of my hopes for Griffin has been that he would grow into his name. He was so little, but I knew that he would someday need to step up and be a man of Godly strength. My prayer is that Joel and I are given the wisdom and grace to raise him (and Parker) up in this hope.

3 comments:

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Oh, my friend, this made me choke up a little.

What beautiful things to hope and pray for your son! I did not know what Griffin meant - how wonderful that a name you *just liked* also meant something so very important!

Thank you for sharing this - you touched me...

Aleah said...

Everytime I want to reply here something happens..now that I know for sure that they're asleep I'll try again!
What a cute onesie and it's rare you see them with such meaningful words!
Hmm...now you've got me thinking maybe us adults should wear some shirts with words like these to remind us of what we should be striving for everyday!
I love what you've told us about Griffin through this post and what you want for him. I can't wait to meet him!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Don't you just love praying for our kiddlings? There is something awesome and inspiring when praying for our children; it often moves me to tears as this post did! This was beautifully written, Amy! Your heart is beautiful!

About Me

My Photo
*WIFE* to a great man *MAMA* to Parker, Griffin & Hollyn *BLESSED* to be living out this dream & always... longing to be *LOVELY*

Our Family

Our Family

Followers

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved